This year there's no prohibition on open flame in the house, so we're lighting candles in an Adventskranz (advent wreath). The idea is to light one additional candle every Sunday before Christmas; we messed up this year and missed the last Sunday in November, but we're planning on improving as we learn! For this year, we could just light the last one (the white one) on Christmas (or as close to it as we can, since we'll be in CA). I found out that royal purple and white candles are traditional; purple because we're waiting for a King, and white for the Savior (in that role, as I understand it). My dad tells me that they did this for Advent when he was growing up, so it's nice to try and keep up a multi-generational tradition.
Our less-serious Advent activity this year: a LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar! Following are what we've opened so far (plus a snowspeeder we opened last night):
There are droids,
people,
and, of course, vehicles. Can you identify them all?
Our final fun decoration is one we found while looking for some Christmas lights. See if you can figure out why we got it!
Merry Christmas, e'rybody!
2 comments:
WAY fun! I assume "advent" is a German thing? I know we like the countdown too, so I'm wondering about the origin. You guys are doing great!
I probably ought to read the comments more. Advent isn't just German, but is definitely big in the German celebrations of Christmas (Catholic, Lutheran, and otherwise). I believe it started with the Catholic Church, and as I understand it, is a nice Christ-centered tradition for home. :)
Post a Comment